Sunday, September 27, 2009

Organic Caramel Popcorn


The All Organic Recipe for Perfect Organic Caramel Popcorn!!!

I've done it ladies! Whilst ignoring the large amounts of reading that has slowly been piling up over the weekend, I have focused my energy on a new feet: I have officially found the perfect recipe for organic caramel popcorn. Now, I know there is organic corn syrup out there, but I just plain
don't trust it! The corn industry scares me with their popsicle ads. So, I have developed my own recipe for caramel corn without the use of it. I must admit the measurements might be off a little (mainly because I made it up as I went along).


I will also give the instructions for the perfect way to make popcorn because again I am distrusting of the microwave popcorn industry also. Basically, I am 3 steps away from living in my own farm house right outside of a no-name town next to the unibomber, but at least I will be eating well and plan to outlive everyone. I literally did not have a single unpopped kernel using this method!

The Perfect Way to Make Popcorn:

Ingredients:
1/3 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
3 Tblsp. popcorn oil (or olive/grapeseed oil if you wish)
1 tsp. salt
*1-2Tblsp. butter to taste
*Big-ass NONSTICK pot (I use the same pot for the caramel. MIne is 8 1/2 Quarts)

Directions: (taken from Simplyrecipes.com)
Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan on medium high heat.

Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan.

When the kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer. Cover, remove from heat and count 30 seconds. This method first heats the oil to the right temperature, then waiting 30 seconds brings all of the other kernels to a near-popping temperature so that when they are put back on the heat, they all pop at about the same time.

Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping all at once. Once the popping starts, gently shake the pot by moving it back and forth over the burner. Try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the popcorn will be drier and crisper). Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.

If you are adding butter, you can easily melt it by placing the butter in the now empty, but hot pan. Salt to taste.


and now....


Organic Caramel Popcorn
*There are two versions. The first allows for chewy, hot off the stove caramel corn, and the other is akind to firmer, crispy caramel corn much like cracker jack, so use the oven if you like crispy, leave it alone for softer corn. The crispy tends to be a little grainer, so if you don't distrust the corn industry, go ahead and substitute corn syrup for the honey and agave.

Ingredients:
4-5 quarts popped popcorn (a double batch of the above popcorn recipe, unsalted, unbuttered)
2C firmly packed organic brown sugar (light or dark is your choice)
1C (2 sticks) unsalted butter (could probably reduce to 1 1/2 sticks)
3T organic molasses
1T organic honey
1 Tbsp organic agave nectar (*or double honey amount)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
*Almonds or peanuts if you wish

Directions:

Heat oven to 225 degrees if using oven method.

Combine brown sugar, butter, molasses, honey, agave nectar and salt in a thick-bottomed, pot (aha, big ass pot). Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until thermometer reaches 250°F or if you don't have one, use a small amount of mixture dropped in ice water until it forms a hard ball (about 12 to 14 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. The caramel will foam up a little and turn a lighter color when you add the baking soda.

Pour the popcorn into the pot along with the add-ins if you want them. Using a wooden spoon, stir until all popcorn is coated. Place in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir to more evenly coat the popcorn with the caramel sauce. Return to oven. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven. Immediately spread caramel corn out onto waxed paper. Let cool completely. Break into bite-sized pieces. Store in tightly covered container.

Makes about 5 quarts.

Enjoy! Pair with a good, sweet white wine and romantic comedy for the perfect night in, Carly-style.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, this sounds like the perfect recipe! I just stumbled upon your blog by googling "caramel popcorn with agave" and I am so happy to have found this recipe. I also do not trust the corn industry. Those popsicle ads make me laugh so hard! Anyway, thanks for the recipe. I am going to attempt this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank god I'm not the only one who has abandoned my microwave, and corn syrup, and anything not organic. Thought I was the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, sorry to post twice, but I just made this... and man oh man is it delicious! I cannot thank you enough for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to try this!! I have the perfect caramel popcorn recipe that I USED to us until I turned fully organic an have been looking for once since and it looks like I found it!

    ReplyDelete