Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Crustless Sweet Potato Pie with Pumpkinseed Crunch

Crustless Sweet Potato Pie with Pumpkinseed Crunch

WHAT?! Pie without the crust?! Blasphemer! Yes, I know. I am a huge fan of pie crust, and have been known to bake extra pieces of the crust just to dip into my filling while I bake ( I did not say I was proud of that fact, just that it was true). However, I hate pre-made crusts and crusting takes forever and obscene amount of utensils to make it perfect, and after all the time and patience I have found it still is inconsistent whether it will turn out pretty or not. Therefore, I do this for dinner parties because individual ramkins make you look chic and sophisticated, and the lack of a crust means you get to eat twice as many without the caloric overload (or I suppose you could just be healthy and eat just one, but that's just crazy talk).

Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes, baked, and mashed (but not overmashed)
- 2 Lg. eggs
- 1 Lg. egg white
- 1/2 cup (or 3/4 if you like it really sweet) maple syrup (the good stuff from Vermont!)
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tablespoons of raw sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (not salted)

Directions:
Preheat to 375.

Whisk mashed sweet potato with whole eggs, 1 egg white, maple syrup, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Spoon into individual ramkins. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake in middle of oven until it doesn't look jiggly (check at 20-25 mins).

Spray foil with cooking spray. Toast pumpkin seeds in skillet with 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup for 1-2 mins until golden. Spread on foil and let cool in a layer. When ramekins are done, crumble seeds over each to garnish.

*Can also whip 1 cup cream with a little vanilla and cinnamon and dollop or serve on the side.

*This also works well for any pumpkin pie recipe. Just watch the ramekins b/c they bake differently in different ovens.

No comments:

Post a Comment